Friday, May 13, 2011

Celebrate the Good Times

As I alluded to in my last post, work is going very well right now. Which is such a welcome change from the previous few months. Working at a start-up has many, many advantages to it. We're flexible, we're innovative, our schedule and daily tasks are constantly changing so we're always on our toes. We're scrappy and we're risk takers. But it has a few downsides. Sometimes it's stressful. We are small, but our goals are big. That often translates into working loooong hours without much thanks (or compensation!). But that's okay. It's what I signed up for.

So yesterday I officially took a new position in work. It was a good day. A celebration of sorts was therefore necessary. And thanks to a bottle of wine I was gifted, I decided it was going to translate into a home cooked meal.

It was amazing. I haven't been cooking much, and getting back in the kitchen after a few weeks of snacking and "making do," it felt great. It also provided the perfect opportunity to try out SooFoo. I had picked this up, on impulse, at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to try it since.

Soo Fooing Good

Check out the ingredient list: barley, black lentils, brown lentils, buckwheat, green lentils, long grain brown rice, oats, rye berries and wheat berries. Day-um! It cooks up like brown rice and if you visit the website, there are many great ways you can jazz it up. Next time I think I'll add some mushrooms and onions :) This time, I just cooked with some chicken stock for added flavor. Highly recommended.

And then there was the star of the show. Ribeye steaks. Cooked medium rare. Kind of on the rare side. Kind of delicious. I always get nervous grilling on my own, but I must say, I think I nailed it! You may refer to me here on out as the "Grill Master."

The path to my heart? Ribeyes...

I roasted up a few brussel sprouts and bam - dinner was served!

Success, I has it.


My friends and I gobbled it all up. I think SooFoo is going to become a staple of mine. It's nutritious, flavorful, and has a texture like rice/pilaf/cooked grain but a little crunchy too. I can't wait to make it again and experiment a little.

What's your favorite way to celebrate good news?

No comments:

Post a Comment