Friday, April 22, 2011

I Love Carbs, But...

I am NOT missing them. Not after this.

As you know, the other day I tried my hand at brussel sprouts for the first time. So feeling a little cocky, I went for something else I have never tried -- spaghetti squash.

I gotta tell you, I'm 2 for 2 this week. It was amazing!

I will warn you, the meal you are about to see is extremely weird. It is a product of what was in my pantry. So....slim pickings. (I can't tell you the last time I've been to the grocery store)

But that's okay. Because it was so, so yum.

Spaghetti squash cut in half and seeds removed

Squash guts!
I simply put the two halves cut side down on a baking pan and placed in a preheated (350 degrees) onion and let cook for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile...

Half an onion, chopped, over medium heat with some olive oil.
I let the onions cook for about 5 minutes. They had just started to get a little soft.

Some chopped cauliflower (about 1/4 head)

Garlic!

Lot's of garlic! (About 3 very large cloves worth)

You should always have this in your pantry.

Let this cook until the tomatoes were warm.

Salt, pepper and a heaping tbsp or two of red pepper flakes later...

Well look who's ready!

Take a fork and start scraping. This was after one "scraping" motion.

30 seconds later.

Get out your favorite serving bowl.

A beautiful bed of steaming hot spaghetti squash.

Heap on the veggie mix and add a little feta.

I needed some protein? (Those are kidney beans that I had leftover)

Mix!

Heart healthy x 2 (The stray piece of broccoli makes it extra healthy. It's science.)

I cannot express how satisfying this was. In the future I'm thinking some slices of sausage would be delicious (the beans were still surprisingly good). Also, if you're going to do this - please, please make sure you add the feta. It adds a saltiness that just takes this entree to the next level.

I can't wait for lunch tomorrow - leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment