Monday, January 10, 2011

Parm Heaven

This weekend I decided to do some experimenting. At Christmas dinner, one of my favorite dishes was one that our dear family friends had brought over. It was the most delicious Eggplant Parmesan I have ever had the pleasure of eating. It was both flavorful and relatively healthy. Most recipes I have seen for Eggplant Parm call for frying the eggplant slices and heaping on the mozzarella and ricotta cheese. This recipe makes some healthier choices without sacrificing any of the flavor.

Since then, I've been counting down the days until I could try my own version. Luckily, I found myself with some extra time this past Saturday. After a short trip to Trader Joes, I was ready to go.

The Best Eggplant Parmesan You've Ever Had (seriously)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Eggplants, medium size
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3 tbsp water
  • 1 cup Panko
  • 1 jar of your favorite Marinara Sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • basil, dried
  • 1 cup Nonfat Cottage Cheese
  • 1 cup Part Skim Mozarella, shredded
  • Parmesan, grated
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Canola Cooking Spray
Directions:
  1. Preaheat your oven using the Broiler setting.
  2. Slice both eggplants into 1/4" slices.
  3. In two separate bowls create your dipping station. In the first bowl combine the egg whites and water and whisk together to mix. In the second bowl add the Panko. One by one, take each eggplant slice and dip first into the egg whites and then into the Panko. Make sure to coat both sides in both the egg whites and Panko.
  4. Place the eggplant slices onto two baking trays that have been coated in Canola cooking spray.
  5. Place the baking trays under the broiler. Make sure to keep an eye on them! After about 15 minutes I took the trays out, flipped the slices and put back in for another 15 minutes.
  6. Turn the oven down to 400 degrees.
  7. In a casserole dish, spoon a thin layer of marinara sauce into the Casserole. NOTE: I doctored up my marinara sauce by adding garlic and basil (listed in the ingredients above).
  8. On top of the marinara sauce, layer 1/2 of the eggplant in the dish so that the individual slices are overlapping. Add salt and pepper over the eggplant. Cover with more marina sauce.
  9. Combine the cottage cheese and mozzarella into one dish. Sprinkle half of the mixture over the eggplant.
  10. Repeat by adding another layer of eggplant, marinara and cheese.
  11. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the entire dish.
  12. Bake in the oven uncovered for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Think these suckers can adequately substitute for meat?
IMG_0431

One of the eggplants sliced and waiting for their egg white bath.
IMG_0433

I use my hands to separate the yolks and egg whites. I'm a gangsta.
IMG_0437

The dipping stations! Prepare to get dirty!
IMG_0438

Nice and brown! Be careful - the broiler works fast. I can't tell you how often I've burned bread or veggies by not paying attention....
IMG_0446

One layer down!
IMG_0450

Hello lover!
IMG_0457

The Man Friend, who is skeptical of all things veggie, managed to put some away. It must have been good.

What are your favorite healthy versions of classic recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment