Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions...Everyone's Got Them


I'm always sad when the Holidays are over. It's such a festive time of year. Now? It's back to the grind. Sigh.... Naturally, as one year draws to a close and another begins it is a time of reflection for many. I usually don't bother writing down my resolutions. This is mostly because they're the same - eat better, go to the gym more regularly, get more sleep, etc. This year I am going to write them down in hopes that by publishing them on the internets for all posterity I'll feel more obligated to take proactive steps and see some lasting change.

So here goes....

Stress Less. I have a tendency to bottle up all of my day to day stresses until I can't handle it anymore and I explode. Unfortunately, it's those dearest to me who feel the brunt of it. 2010 had it's share of struggles and stresses. But the reality is that at no time was I ever hungry, homeless or without the support of my friends and family. So with that said, I want to take the little things in stride and when I'm faced with a bigger challenge I hope to put them in perspective and to lean on the support of my friend and family and my own sense to get me through it without losing hours of sleep and shutting myself away.

Strength Train. I love to go running, take a walk, play tennis, hit the gym and spend an hour on the eliptical or stairstepper. BUT, I never use weights or do any kind of strength conditioning. Mostly, I think it's because I find it intimidating. But now that I have started learning about the different moves and machines, I'm starting to feel comfortable. I want the 2011 me to be a stronger, leaner, healthier me. I think that translates into more squats, small weights, push ups and maybe a pull up or too. I'm hoping it will make the running improve as well.

Eat Good Food. If I'm going to put more effort into making my body a lean mean fighting machine then I might as well fill it up with the good stuff. In general, I do eat a lot of salads and vegetables in general, but I also indulge on a lot of pizza and other comfort foods. I don't want to cut out the pizza entirely (I'm not crazy) but I would like to make it the exception and not the default for a lazy Monday night. I would also like to be better about eating breakfast so I'm not starving when lunch comes around and less tempted by the delicious, seriously delicious, burgers down the street... Afterall, my coach at Crossfit told me two really great things that I've thought about quite a lot since I've started my workouts there: 1) 90% of your fitness has to do with the foods you put into your body and 2) if you want to be solid you have to eat solid foods. I like both of these statements. It's a good reminder that everything starts with the quality of nutrients I feed my body. So there!

Sleep More. Sleep is definitely the first thing to go when I get busy and probably the thing I need most. I often go to bed well past midnight and wake up early, only to get on a good day, 6 hours of sleep. I'm then sluggish and grumpy throughout the rest of the day and have to rely on copious amounts of coffee to get me by. I would really like to aim for 8 hours of quality sleep every night. I think that's possible.

I think that's it. If I could knock these out this year, I'd be one happy (and healthy!) girl.

What are your New Year's Resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment