Why do you hate me so?
I suppose it could have gone worse.
It definitely could have gone much better.
At least he smells (and feels) great.
Dinner was a mish-mash of things. I had guac left over from earlier in the day (bummer!....) so in a few minutes Adam made a nice plate (for two) of cheese and crackers and ham and chips - for the guac. The cheese, crackers and ham were awesome. Especially because it was smoked cheddar from Trader Joes. Delicious! The chips? Not so much. To quote Adam, "they taste like Trader Joes." We determined this meant "healthy." He was right. They were thick and course and kind of bland. Boo. We love food around here, so we don't take kindly to anything that wastes our time.
Luckily, this past weekend Adam's mom showed me how to make homemade tortilla chips from corn tortillas. I had just so happened to bring some corn tortillas over (I was meaning to make quesadillas...I forgot the chicken, hence the cheese and crackers). In ten minutes we had edible chips. Phew! Crisis averted.
This is not "diet" food.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Chili powder
- Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan over high heat. Fill with enough oil so that the oil is about 1" deep.
- In a small bowl, combine equal parts salt and chili powder (I used about 2 tablespoons of each and had leftover seasoning).
- Take about 6 corn tortillas and stack them up in a pile and cut to create triangles. I cut the entire stack lengthwise 4 - once vertical cut, one horizontal (you know have a cross) and then two diagonal cuts. This makes sense, right?
- Once the oil has heated up (I drop a little piece of corn tortilla in the pan, if the oil starts bubbling around the tortilla, it's ready) place your tortilla triangles in the pan, careful to not put too many so that there is no overlapping.
- After about 2 minutes on each side (they will be nice and golden) place on a plate with a paper towel to allow to drain and cool.
- While still hot, sprinkle the salt mixture lightly over the chips.
- Place in serving dish of your choice and enjoy!
Crappy iphone pic!