Sunday, February 27, 2011

That was it?

All week long, we here in San Diego had been hearing about how we were going to be getting a horrible, storm-of-the-century, storm on Friday. Seriously, there were news specials about it. (And I thought Arizona was bad about rain). So Friday finally came around, and I was in full-comfort/hibernation mode for the weekend. Food-wise this meant pizza or CHOWDAH!

I've been wanting to try this recipe (via this blog) for a few weeks and tonight was the perfect excuse to give it a whirl. It was cheap, easy, filling and tasty. Perfect.

Unfortunately, I went to Henry's to get the supplies I didn't have and I was bummed to find out they didn't have creamed corn. Thank goodness for the iphone, in a second I was looking up creamed corn alternatives and I was good to go. (I really didn't want to go to another store for one stupid can of corn!)

After consulting a few different recipes, this is what I ended up doing:

Creamed Corn

Ingredients:
  • 1 can corn
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
  • salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. In a pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour in and mix so that the two are completely incorporated.
  2. Start adding the milk slowly and stir so that the flour/butter mixture is fully mixed in. 
  3. Add the corn. Cook until the mixture starts simmering. 
  4. Add salt/pepper.  
 It was extremely easy, and only added about 10 minutes to my chowder cook time.


  •  


  • Creamed corn minus the can!

    As for the chowder? Oh my gosh. Make this now. I ended up doubling the amount of crab they called for, used dried thyme, and added extra garlic (duh) and onions. Other than that, followed the recipe and was very happy with the results. Word to the wise-don't over do the parsley. A little goes a long way! Yes, learned that the hard way...

    Red pepper flakes make everything taste better :)

    Tino totally approved.

    I'm smiling because it smells delicious!

    Oh yah, and the rain? Meh. Totally overblown.

    1 comment: